Friday, August 28, 2009

It's Getting Hot Out Here!


I stuck a battery in my alarm clock yesterday and was alarmed to see that the display read 90 degrees Fahrenheit inside my room. Still, I'm reluctant to complain because I know that for Mostar, this is good summer weather. It could be worse.
I'm pleasantly surprised to see that there have been a few changes in Mostar since I left in May, namely new construction projects and a new clock in Spanski Trg. It's digital temperature display has been hovering around 40 degrees Celsius (about 104 F) each afternoon, but I have yet to see it rise above. I thought nothing of it until my co-year Milana informed me that the city of Mostar is known for lowering the official temperature by several degrees during the summer. The reason: economics. Bosnian law states that a heat advisory must be declared when temperature rise above 40 so people will stay at home, but to keep businesses going the local government feels the need to step in.
Even they, however, could do nothing last week when the new gadget broke and began displaying temperatures of 88 C! Matt and Rowan tell me the press jokingly toted Mostar as "the hottest city in the world." But even with temperature tampering aside, I doubt Mostar comes close to challenging the real record, and that is something to be thankful for.

No comments: