Sunday, February 15, 2009

Zima u Mostaru (Winter in Mostar!)

I must admit the past week has been a bit surreal. Partly it's due to the fact that I was out with a flu for several days and my mind was a bit muddled. But mostly it was a somewhat spontaneous trip to Sarajevo and the unexpected treat of seeing snow in Mostar!!

Somehow I've managed to make it a long time without visiting the capital, so some friends and I took advantage of the Sarajevo winter festival to catch a jazz concert as well as explore the city. I feel like I went nearly everywhere, spending loads of time walking around, sampling local specialties, going to historical sights like the famous assassination bridge (Franz Ferdinand, WW1, ring any bells?). The whole time, there were soft, sparkling flakes of snow falling, the nicest I've ever seen. And despite getting lost trying to find our hostel Friday night, the whole trip was amazing and as enjoyable as a proper holiday.

By Monday night, I was paying for my walks in the snow with a nasty cough and cold. In fact, I was silly enough not to wear a scarf to school because I expected Mostar to be "warmer." Imagine my surprise when snow started falling...and didn't stop for a whole day! It was the best experience, even with the cough! The whole afternoon people were shouting and jumping around and making cold-weather food and announcing who was seeing snow for the first time and throwing snow at everything that moved. One thing I'll say about UWCers...we know how to celebrate and will jump at any reason to do it!

All that's left of the snow now are patches of ice left to trip us up, and some lovely memories. My personal best is of a local taxi driver who took pity when he saw Milana and I sliding down the hill, fighting the bura wind, and gave us a free ride right up to the door of the school. Mostarians may not be known for generosity and service, but that makes the incidences of it that do occur that much more special!



Sarajevo!!


view from our hostel in Sarajevo

amazed by the snowfall in Mostar!

No comments: